Holidays can shake up your normal exercise routine and it’s not always a bad thing. As long as you don’t drop exercising completely!
If you are planning a break from your usual exercise routine over the holiday period or your New Years Resolution is to start exercising more, try these tips:
- Increase your incidental exercise – Park a bit further from your destination and walk the rest. Take the stairs instead of the lift. Walk the escalators at the shops
- Get active outdoors – Take advantage of the summer weather and get outdoors with the kids and play games
- Get swimming – I mean laps, not floating 😉 or running in the water at the beach or pool
- Work a body part each morning or evening or both! – A quick 10 – 15 min workout out of 4 -5 exercises on the legs and butt 1 day and arms, chest and back on another will serve you well.
- Go for intensity not duration – Shorter more intense workouts can be just as good as your normal longer ones. They allow you to balance holiday activities with your exercise routine. So try fewer exercises but push it a little harder for shorter intervals.
- Try some new activities that aren’t an option for you normally – For example, stand-up paddle boarding is a great work out, but generally not accessible when you are working.
- Replicate your work gym schedule at home – If you use the gym at lunch time near work, try getting a 10 or 20 visit pass to a gym local to your home or in your holiday destination.
IMPORTANT: In summer it’s critical to stay hydrated in the heat. If you are working out in the heat, take plenty of drink breaks, try to stay in the shade and avoid the middle of the day if you can.